Friday, October 31, 2008

. . . mixed it up




. . . using different colors in this painting. I think I showed it on this blog before, but not hanging up. I took this picture just before I sent it out into the big wide world. It's an abstracted version of an old building wall.


Yesterday I worked a bit on another woven piece that I had already started. . . I just don't know what to think any more. It seems the less I like a piece, the more marketable it is. What does that say about my taste? Or abilities? Not that I don't like that piece I showed you yesterday. It's just that I never intended for that piece to anything but experimental, and it turns out to get rave reviews. The piece that I felt was most boring was deemed to be most "sellable" and the piece I thought was most interesting was judged to be "attractive to only the most sophisticated buyers." Whatever.

2 comments:

Catherine said...

ahhh, Mary...you hit the nail on the head....

and the piece I thought was most interesting was judged to be "attractive to only the most sophisticated buyers

I think it takes great courage for an artist sell and show her work - an oil painter friend of mine knows she's got a winner IF she hates it!

Mary Buek said...

Exactly true, Catherine. And the weird thing is that the art rep and I usually disagree about which piece is a favorite and we never ever pick the one that sells first. That rep asked me why I even painted things that were boring to me, and I told him they didn't always start out that way, but they ended up that way. Perhaps laziness, perhaps something not challenging for a change, I don't know. I'm just glad he's out there peddling my stuff, because I just can't bring myself to do it...no courage at all.