Tuesday, August 5, 2008

. . . hung around indoors




in an attempt to stay out of the heat. I did get three small tables and two lamp bases primed and/or painted. It is weird, but just being in the basement studio made me feel more creative. I have a large framed canvas that is probably not fit for anything I could sell (that's funny, actually sell something? Haha) so every time I finished painting a piece of furniture, I would use up the paint in the brush by painting large swathes of color on the canvas in a kind of dry-brush technique. The dry-brushing highlighted all the lovely texture already on the canvas. At the moment the canvas is in various shades of white, beige, and gold, with brown undertones. I kind of like it just the way it is. I guess we'll just see where it goes today.


I painted one small table a deep dark brown. When it dried, I stenciled something in the corners. I hated it . . . really really didn't like it, so I painted over it and decided unless specifically requested, I was not going to stencil any furniture in the future. My style, in furniture and clothing and probably just about everything else, is not fussy and contrived, and that's how the stenciled table looked to me. It occurred to me while I was in the studio that I should just consider each piece of furniture a canvas on which to paint a background, and I love to painted backgrounds. . .


Kind of like the picture above. . . it is another one of those wonderful shots from July 4 in the junkyard. Aren't there lots of opportunities in this one shot to crop and enhance and come up with multiple good shots of texture and color and backgrounds?
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

p said...

that photo ...is it untouched? WOW
i like your idea about painting furniture as a canvas and letting go of stencil stuff. looking forward to seeing what you've done.
stay cool!

Mary Buek said...

Paula: Naw, it's touched up, enhanced the color a bit, but not cropped. Isn't that texture amazing?

Seth said...

Mary - I would absolutely love for that to be a wall in my home!

Mary Buek said...

Seth, yeah, it's pretty cool. The old guy that came out of nowhere when I was taking these pictures asked if I wanted to buy this stuff. . . maybe this garbage dumpster is for sale. . .