Friday, April 11, 2008

. . . copied spring colors . . .



I painted this specifically for my dining room. I deconstructed and then reconstructed an old framed painting that I never really liked very much, inspired by the contents of the urn sitting on the table. Last fall I had the dining room walls painted with Benjamin Moore's new Aura paint in wenge, a rich deep brown. It is especially nice with all the white woodwork in the room. But it needed a pop of color, so spring green was the theme. And despite a forecast of snow tonight, the daffodils & magnolia are blooming and the grass is greening up, so spring is imminent.



This is a picture of the entire painting up close. . . lots of texture, lots of different shades and tones of green and yellow . . . kind of a blurry picture. . .



and here's a real close up of one of my favorite sections of the painting. It's a little dark -- it's a dark and gloomy day here and the lighting for this close-up was tricky. I used a self-made leaf stamp (made out of plumbing gasket material) in some places. You can see just a bit of the stamp in the upper left corner of this shot. I also added a bit of bronze here and there for a glimmer.

4 comments:

Anna said...

This is so bright and cheery and it looks gorgeous on your brown walls. WOW, it really pops. I love the textures in the details. Beautiful

Leah said...

what an awesome green painting. LOVE it. and your blog is so cool, clever, and love the photos.

Mary Buek said...

Leah, I'm glad you like the painting, and thanks for the compliments on the blog. Glad you're a reader. Mary

Seth said...

Stunning painting...but you really sold me with those incredibly detailed close-ups!