Tuesday, September 23, 2008

. . . kept plugging away




at painting pictures. The rep that sold my work last month will be back in town on Sunday, supposedly. The way things are going for me at the moment, he has probably fled to Peru with my money and his name will show up on the art scam website. (Oh, please, don't let that happen. . . ) I would like to have 15 more pieces ready for him. He tells me that bright, colorful paintings sell. So as I go through my photographs, I try to find bright colorful inspiration. Instead, I'm finding a lot of brown for some reason. I'm wondering if a painting based on the digital collage above is bright and colorful enough. . . the oranges and reds and the textures are what attracts me.


At the Plaza Art Fair, I would have to agree that bright primary colors were the norm. There were a few booths with really beautiful subtle artwork. . . mostly creatively presented photographs, but one was mixed media with oil paints.


I had to stock up on art supplies yesterday. Painting large has diminished my supplies very quickly. . . mostly the mediums. I kept asking them for things they didn't have, like black gesso and plastic bottles with metal tips. One of the videos I bought suggested that I use Bob Ross black gesso for a number of things and I really like it. My kids, especially my son, used to watch Bob Ross create his paintings on TV, and they were enthralled. It was magical. He made it look so easy. My son, in his usual wise-ass manner, suggested that I might be a more successful artist if I painted more like Bob. I could take the above picture and paint a little tree here, a sweet little bush there. . .

4 comments:

p said...

still can't really be sure what i'm seeing (finaly someone who takes worse pictures than i do of my art ...i'm smiling) but what i see intrigues me. like the color ALOT.
god if you put landscape trees in there I will VOMIT

Mary Buek said...

Paula, the picture isn't really OF something. It's just a portion of the side of something, showing the colors and textures. And I doubt I could paint a Bob Ross tree to save my life. Maybe a twig.

p said...

now i'm completely lost
i thought the picture was a picture of your painting.yes?

Mary Buek said...

Paula, no, it's not a picture of one of my paintings. It's just one of my pictures, cropped, enlarged, enhanced, to be used as inspiration for a future painting. Sorry for the confusion.