Friday, September 26, 2008

. . . chose another photo




as inspiration for my next painting. I believe that this is a portion of an old truck that is owned by my brothers, used to haul junk away from the house that we all own in my home town that they have been working on for quite a while.


I have said before that I use venetian plaster for texture in many of my paintings. I guess I was somewhat inspired by the techniques I saw in the DVD I purchased a couple of weeks ago (Inkjet Transfer Techniques by Bonny Pierce Lhotka), because I decided to experiment with the plaster a bit. I mixed it with some Liquitex gloss medium. The gloss medium made the plaster much easier to work with and provided a finer texture. I use a regular mason's tool to spread the plaster, an oblong-shaped heavy metal object with a curved handle. . . it probably has a specific name, but I don't know it. Palette knives usually don't have the effect that I'm after; they are too small and too flexible. Now if I were truly inspired by the DVD, I would next experiment with using a bit of clear liquid gelatin in the mix. . . interesting? I'll let you know. . . possibly the gelatin will make everything slide right off the surface, who knows?


Anyway, I will use the plaster/gel again on the piece inspired by the picture above.

No comments: