Friday, September 19, 2008

. . . didn't paint anything




In fact, I don't remember what I did yesterday, and I have no actual plans for today, so this is really going to be a more boring than usual blog. But just think what it must be like to actually live the life that I do. . . you only have to endure a small blog post while I actually have to experience it. Or not.


The picture above is another digital collage, combining a small crop of a picture I took back in May in my hometown with a wood texture photo. I like it and I think it will be the inspiration for another painting.


I would like to clarify a bit on yesterday's post. When I first started painting, I sought inspiration from other artists, and yes, I sometimes copied them. Since I am self-taught, it was valuable experience. And later on, I sought inspiration from photographs on Flickr. With the Flickr photos, I always either asked the photographer if I could paint their picture (and I always received a positive response); or I painted the picture and showed it to the photographer before I posted it, requesting permission; or I used a photograph from a group specifically posting pictures as abstract art inspiration. I have never even attempted to sell any painting that was a direct copy of someone else's painting. I haven't even given them away. They are all still sitting in the studio, or have been painted over or torn apart. These days I have enough photographs that if I want to copy something, I copy my own stuff. That way I can sleep at night.

2 comments:

Seth said...

Wonderful collage! Love the scratchiness you have achieved.

Mary Buek said...

Thanks, Seth. Now if I can just convert that to paint. Hey, your blog has been a wild success, and I've so enjoyed reading about all the artists. Keep up the great work.