Sunday, June 1, 2008

. . . read all day



I have to show some collages that I made at the end of 2007, because I haven't created anything new for a while. There is a big canvas more or less ready to go, the one I deconstructed and finally got into shape for something new; there is also a little one waiting for me to paint. But I haven't been down to the studio for over a week, except to look for an evening purse for a neighbor who was going to a benefit . . . and in the mess, I couldn't even find it.




I have been completely absorbed in a book that deals mainly with anthropology, specifically social customs of African tribes; somehow along with this, which is interesting to me by itself, I'm learning that scientists really know very little about human consciousness, what it is, why it is, how it works. . . and the scientific paradigm and how scientists basically try to fit unexplained phenomenon into that paradigm, and if it doesn't fit, then it's not relevant or real. It's complicated and I can't even begin to describe what I'm learning. It will take some time to digest it and process it until it's something I'm comfortable with.

These two collages are 18 x 24 on heavy paper, with layers and layers of papers, medium, paint, etc. These are the first pictures that I took with my new camera that I got for Christmas. The top picture has some glare and the bottom is kind of fuzzy. But I am surely enjoying that camera now that I have figure out a little more about it.

No comments: