Friday, June 27, 2008

. . . beat the heat



So yesterday morning when I got up, the thermostat in the house read 80 degrees. The temperature outside was about 70 degrees. I didn't need to be too bright to figure out the air conditioning system was whacked . . . of course it was, it was going to be hot. After all, the air conditioner works fine when it's not hot.

This is a fairly new air conditioner, not quite two years old. The previous system had quit in August 2006 and it was so unbearable in the house that we had to check into a motel for a couple of days until they could install the current system. We opted at that time to get the latest energy-saving model of a nationally-known and well-respected company, which of course was more expensive.

So I called the installer who was good enough to make room for us on his schedule. It was fixed in a couple of hours and the cool air almost immediately brought relief from the heat and humidity outside. And here's the thing: IT WAS COVERED UNDER WARRANTY. That never happens to me. Something we own that has a warranty usually breaks right after the warranty expires. It is so unusual that I have opted to write about it today.

So I'm thinking I'm off the hook, won't have to spend the big bucks today, right? Oh, no, not at all. I was warned that the furnace is old (13 years?) and we need to have the service and maintenance contract renewed for the next year on the entire HVAC system. "It will save you in the long run." How many times have I heard that. . . add that to the list of the all-time biggest lies. And the nice repairman walks out of my house with $250 anyway.

As I stew about all this, I'm thinking: I'm happy that the system was covered under the warranty, I'm happy that I had $250 to renew the maintenance contract, I'm happy that I don't have to be all sweaty and nasty in the heat, I'm really trying to be positive here, can you tell? But here's the thing: Why is it that something that cost about $7500 two years ago can break and you're happy it's under warranty? It shouldn't break at all, and not within two years. Crazy.

No comments: