Monday, January 5, 2009

. . . used my photograph


to create this collage. I was still trying to simplify and use square or rectangular shapes, with limited colors. I think I managed to do that more in this collage than those I made previously. The three photos are actually just one. . . it is a black-and-white picture of a kind of trash heap in my mother-in-law's barn, including old tools and straw and buckets, etc. I cut them with really no regard to content, but more to size.
The red at the top of the collage was created from some discontinued crackle paste I got on sale at JoAnn's a long time ago. It didn't crackle. . . I must have missed something in the directions, or maybe that's why it was discontinued. . . but I did discover that I can apply thick textures to tissue paper with a pallette knife. I like doing it that way. . . easier and more control than a brush.
You will just have to trust me on this: This collage looks really great in person. It's sitting on my family room mantle. I may have to keep this one, even frame it. Or make more . . .

5 comments:

Catherine said...

ooooh, yes! This may be my new favorite.

Leslie Avon Miller said...

I love this! Good thing you said it was yours!.....

Jeane Myers said...

Hi Mary -I can see why you would want to keep this one! - it is really good!- some of the pieces look like plaster

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

This is one beautiful piece...I'm so crazy for that color yellowish gold and the red is a nice contrast. It's always great when it all falls together! Bravo!
Mary Ann

Mary Buek said...

Catherine: Thank you, I'm glad you like it, too.

Leslie: You really need to see it in person to appreciate it as much as I do (that's a hint.)

Jeane: Thanks, I appreciate your comment. It does kind of look like plaster. Funny, when I want something to look like plaster, it doesn't.

Mary Ann: Thanks a lot. By they way, your picture is lovely. . . you look like Meg Ryan. . .