Wednesday, January 7, 2009

. . . painted purple paper




I don't know what made me do it. . . I had an urge to use purple. Maybe because I was wearing a plum-colored sweatshirt that I rediscovered in the closet. So I painted a sheet of tissue paper with broad strokes of purple paint. It's hard to believe I even had any on hand, but I dug through all my supplies and found some.



There are a couple of other interesting elements here, too. The dark gray patch on the bottom right side is more of that discounted discontinued stuff I bought at JoAnn's a while ago. It has iron shavings in it and it shines when it's held up to the light. It's very thick and I applied it to the tissue paper with a pallette knife. It has a great texture.



The black on the left was also paint left over from my furniture painting adventure. I slathered some gloss black enamel paint onto tissue paper with a pallette knife, also. It was very streaky but, in the experimental mode, I just wanted to see how it would turn out. The bit on the top is the front part of the tissue page. The rectangle on the bottom is the same paper, reversed. The backside of the paper picked up the various odd bits and blobs left over from previous tissue paper painting, and it is not as glossy as the front of the paper. I also used bits of my own photography in black and white, although it shows up kind of green in this photo.


This collage is on the mantel right now, so I can look it over from various places, or just glance at it as I pass. It is very graphic. . . the purple doesn't show up much. From a distance, it's dynamite.

3 comments:

Leslie Avon Miller said...

This is great stuff. I love the addition of your oen photographs. Your experimental mode is really paying off. I like this one a lot.

Jeane Myers said...

good morning Mary - love the purple paper - the pics from yesterday of the HGTV home? were really fun - that pic over the fireplace looks amamzing - don't know about the bullseye thingy - but I like the vases - these rooms always look so dead to me when they are showcased - no life, just perfection and perfection as always seemed like such a boring place to go, don't you think? or maybe not for other people.....

Mary Buek said...

Leslie: Thanks for the comment. As you can guess, I certainly have a bunch of pictures on the computer I can use. I will keep working on that angle.

Jeane: I loved the bulls eye, because it was simple and rustic, yet somehow elegrant and a contrast to the other things in the room. I agree, perfection can be boring, not that I would know from personal experience or anything. I often wonder how these rooms look after a family dinner or when the kids are taking a nap. . . that would be sort of interesting to see for a change.