Friday, January 30, 2009

. . . made digital collages




because yet another day has gone by without anything getting done in the studio. But Picasa has updated its collage feature and I did spend some time messing around with it yesterday. I took one of my favorite photographs and collaged it with another photograph of some weathered wood siding. The above picture is the result. Of course I fiddled with it a bit for color and intensity, etc.


As I drifted to sleep last night, after spending a lot of time looking at my stash of photos on the computer, I had the idea that maybe I could paint some of these photos, or use them as a starting point, at least, and then also see if I could recreate the same photo in a smaller collage. I am interested in testing what results I can achieve using paint as opposed to what effects are more suited to collage.

Okay, all you lurkers out there. Today is the last day to send in your request for one of my collages that I'm giving away to celebrate 365 days of continuous blogging. Tomorrow I will announce the winner.

12 comments:

Miki Willa said...

I think your idea of painting from these photos is great. This one would make a fantastic large painting. I encourage you to go for it.

Cindy said...

Wow, Mary, that came out really cool. I love it. Congratulations on one full year!

Leslie Avon Miller said...

A big congratulations with balloons, confetti and noise makers to you Ms. Mary! I have been sitting down with my cupa in the early mornings for quite a bit now enjoying your daily blog post. I have enjoyed seeing you celebrate Thanksgiving at your house, your long porch outside that is just right in the warm summers, and your two little grandkids and what there costumes were for Halloween. Most of all I know about your passion for creating your vibrant, lively, sexy paintings and collage. Your passion for creating is evident and an inspiration for all of us. Thank goodness for the blog world that has allowed us to get to find the members of our tribe, be they scattered to the four corners of the earth. xxoo

Jazz said...

You can do digital collage on Picsasa? Who knew?

As for the contest, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'm in awe that you managed to post every day for a year. Congratulations.

RosieK said...

Just to say I'm also in awe of you posting everyday for a year - I didn't realise until recently it was EVERYDAY - marvellous ! hope I win!

Mary Buek said...

Miki; Thank you for the encouragement. I agree, it would make an interesting painting, wouldn't it?

Mary Buek said...

Eve: Thanks so much. It's one of my favorite photos. I think I'll go for another year now.

Mary Buek said...

Leslie: Totally agree with you about the blog world. It's been so much fun to meet and correspond with you and all the others on line. Sexy paintings, huh? Cool, nothing about me has been sexy for years.

Mary Buek said...

Jazz, you should try the collage thing on Picasa, it's so much fund and now that it's expanded, I love it and spend endless hours fiddling with it. Let me know which collage you would like to have, okay?

Mary Buek said...

Rose: You did win. Let me know which one you want. I'm going for my second year, now. Thanks for visiting my blog.

Anonymous said...

My first book was written using the method you descibed after that I got smart and found adobe photoshop elements which helps me a lot and saves plenty of ink . On art I like somewhat realistic art not fully modern .

Mary Buek said...

Dolls: Thank you for the comment. I have Photoshop Elements and should learn it much better, but it's just so easy to hop over to Picasa and fool around with it.