Monday, January 19, 2009

. . . issued a challenge







On second thought, let me change that. . . issuing a challenge sounds way too aggressive. Rather, I will invite you to play with me. Doesn't that sound much more friendly? Let me explain:



One of my favorite blog sites is Eddie Ross (I'm so glad I finally figured out how to link. . .) His post of January 15, Quilt of Many Colors, is the impetus for this art exercise. In this post, Eddie uses a friend's old quilt as inspiration for five color schemes for rooms in your house. He very kindly even shows the paint chips from Home Depot's Ralph Lauren collection so you can visualize what he does.


I am going to make collages using his five color schemes. . . and some of those colors and combinations are way, way out of my comfort range. At the very least, I will gain experience in mixing paint colors to come up with hues that mirror's Eddie's Ralph Lauren choices. And maybe I'll even find out that I really like lavender or dusty rose . . . My challenge will be to create collages using these colors without sacrificing my own style.


And if you have the time or the inclination, I invite you to check out Eddie's website, and experiment along with me. There are no rules or deadlines or anything like that, but I would definitely enjoy seeing how different artists used these pallettes, and I will be posting my results, be they good, bad, indifferent, blah.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

WoW How exciting I can't wait to see what you come up with! Thank you for the sweet mention!
Eddie Ross

Jazz said...

What if I....

...said I had just discovered your blog and absolutely adore it.

Mary Buek said...

Wow, a real comment from the famous Eddie himself. I'm having trouble with this self-challenge, so it may be a while before anything shows up on the blog.

Jazz: Thank you so much. I went to visit your site(s). . . all about books. I'm going to start one for my reading adventures, too, around the first of February.

Jazz said...

Mary - The book one is actually not mine. I was invited to post reviews on it, but never did.

My bad.