Tuesday, January 27, 2009

. . . cleaned the studio




just so I could walk through it without tripping over something. In a very literal sense I turned over a new leaf. . . I flipped over the pink 4' x 8' piece of pink insulation that I use to tack down my canvases so now I have a beautiful clean paint space. I organized my papers into neat stacks, and cleaned up the collage area over on the ping pong table. I am in the process of cleaning a bunch of brushes and other tools that I have used to create the painted and stained tissue papers. So supposedly I am ready to begin painting on canvas again. Why do I hesitate? Especially since my art rep called last night and said I would be a featured artist at a show in KCMO at the end of February. I have some work to do. . .


Some regular readers of this blog may know that when I started this blog, my goal was to post every day for a year. So far, I have accomplished that, The year ends February 1. To celebrate, I want to give away one of my collages. Just post a comment between now and January 31, tell me which collage you would like to receive, and I will pick a random winner on February 1. Any collage that has appeared on this blog, even if I have listed it on Etsy, is eligible.


The above collage is an experiment in black-and-white, which I think is just so elegant (the color combo, not necessarily the collage.) I would mat these in black with an inner edge of white, and a simple black 11 x 14 frame. I would hang a series of them (odd number) perhaps low, along the top of a chair rail, or maybe staggered, going up a staircase, or maybe turn a long hallway into a gallery, hanging them at eye level.

9 comments:

Martin said...

I find out about your work & blog a few weeks ago. Hope you continue to blog for another (few) year(s). I’m a big fan of your work so this opportunity to win a real Mary Buek is something I can't let go by. To make a choice is a different (& cruel) matter. Well…..lets go for Collage Number 18 …or Number 21 …..Number 17?….No, Collage Number 18 it is.

Leslie Avon Miller said...

I want to play. What a great idea Mary! I want the one posted on 1-4-2009. And I do hope you continue to post for a long time. I have my morning coffee with you everyday! Congrats on your upcoming show!

13moons said...

Congrats on almost a year of blogging everyday! Also, I feel that cleaning your studio, or in my case actual being able to walk through it, is quite an achievement.
I'd love to have one of your collages, I'm thinking the one with the blue and a cityscape look, from January 10th.

Jeane Myers said...

wow Mary! I had no idea about your commitment to post everyday for a YEAR?! - geez! congratulations! I am really excited to see your painting work! if it's anything like your collage? - again, wow! well put me in for the one you posted on Jan. 13th - I love that one!

Miki Willa said...

I have really enjoyed your blog since I discovered it earlier this year. Your collages have been very inspiring. My favorite is the one posted on January 16, 2009 because of the colors and textures. I hope you continue to blog for a long time.

Jazz said...

I want to play! I love the collage you posted on January 19. Unfortunately, I haven't had the time to go through your whole blog yet.

Now please please please don't stop posting at the end of your year! I just discovered you I love your art and I really wouldn't want you to just disappear.

Anonymous said...

Pick Me! Pick Me! I'll take anyone of your collages.
Anna

Mary Buek said...

Jazz: Even your name cracks me up. Every time I read it, I think of Jazzy Jeff, the guy that played Will Smith's hilarious friend on "Fresh Prince." Thank you so much for your comments. I doubt that I will quit blogging, it's become my morning habit, along with coffee, the paper, and the crossword puzzle.

Mary Buek said...

Anna: You goof, you know you can have anything you want any time you want it. Pick one (or more) and I'll send it to you. How's everything in the Motown burbs these days? I see you are twittering me. Do you get twitter? Do you even care what I'm doing at any given minute of the day? I forgot Dolly's payment again, I'm such a deadbeat. Love, M