Friday, January 16, 2009

. . . discovered something new




to me, at least. I gessoed some tissue paper and when it was dry, I painted it with transparent paints. That green section on the left in the above collage is a part of that paper. I absolutely love the texture on these pieces and you will be seeing more of them as the days go by. It's always gratifying to me to discover these little tricks quite by accident, even though I realize that many many people have already discovered the same thing. Every time I see this collage, I think of Google Earth, which is really such an amazing thing. This could be a picture of Johnson County, where I live, with all its interstates and flyover ramps and new construction next to fields and parks.

7 comments:

Leslie Avon Miller said...

Mary this does look very aerial! I haven’t tried transparent paint over gessoed tissue. Perhaps I will experiment. Your use of these techniques is what is so unique. You speak loud and clear in your own authentic artistic voice!

Miki Willa said...

I really like this piece. The colors and textures are very wonderful, very earthy. I have really enjoyed looking at your collages.

Jeane Myers said...

mary, I love that you just go for it! I think it really shows in your work - there is a bit of bravado about it! this green color is just so yummy

Mary Buek said...

Leslie: It seems that's all I do. . . experiment. But I'm loving the results.

Thank you, Miki. I looked at your blog and I am amazed at your art. I feel flattered that you follow my blog and hope you'll visit often.

Jeane: This comment comes from the Queen of Bravado... the Emeril of the artworld. Thanks, girl.

Cindy said...

I love the intense colors of your papers. I have been experimenting with gesso and tissue paper too. Such fun!

Seth said...

What a great texture you have achieved here. Looking forward to seeing where you take this technique.

Mary Buek said...

Seth and Eve: Glad you stopped by the blog and left messages. Thanks for the compliments. Eve, isn't it fun to just play with these papers? You can just let go, because even if you screw something up, you really haven't wasted much in the way of art supplies.