Wednesday, May 14, 2008

. . . reevaluated my blog


Heavy Equipment IV, 11 x 14", mixed media on canvas



The above painting is the finished product of one of the three shown in yesterday's blog. . . the one on the left, obviously, since the other two are going to be mostly blue. It is actually inspired by a collage I made through Picasa of the photos I took a few days ago. Even with little Joey here, I was able to work on these paintings during his naps. He is a sweetheart for sure. Neighbors visited, little kids crowded the driveway with little vehicles, and Joe watched it all carefully before venturing into the fray.


Belatedly I noticed that I have posted more than 100 entries on this blog. I don't think I've missed a day of posting since I started in February 2008. I started the blog because I read somewhere that to be taken seriously, an artist should have an internet presence. Since blogs are free and easy to set up, I chose that "internet presence" as opposed to a website. Maybe someday a website will develop, but not yet. I do wonder if anyone is reading this stuff. . . so because I really enjoy starting my day with this blog, I have decided to screw the "artist internet presence" attitude and just plain blog to keep a record of my life for at least one year, with the focus remaining primarily on my art. I will post the new stuff as I create it, but I will stop feeling guilty if I have nothing new every single day. And if no one reads it, fine. . . I'm going to stop worrying about it.




Andy helped me set up and load the IPOD with about 10 hours of songs already on my computer. This has to rate as one of the best inventions of the last decade. I love it . . . I sat on the back porch last night with my book and my IPOD and rocked and read. I received word yesterday that a hospital loves my art, but wants big art -- 50 x60", 60 x 70". I can do that, with revisions to my workspace and painting methods. It will be interesting to see how this pans out. Oh, and how can I forget my niece Amanda in Detroit suburbs -- Mom told me she had surgery yesterday to remove her appendix. I was worried about her high school graduation, but apparently she will be in fine shape to participate. Love you, little girl; and I hope you're doing okay, too, Ann.

9 comments:

Bridgette Guerzon Mills said...

I'm reading!

I added your blog to my bloglines recently and love to read what you're up to and look at your work.

My advice with blog writing is to write for yourself first, forget about the audience. It's hard to do and I falter at times.

Martha Marshall said...

Mary, I'm starting to think that a website isn't a hugely important thing for an artist, except to use as a portfolio, as needed, for galleries or other prospective clients.

A blog really gets you out there. Your authenticity really comes through no matter what the chosen subject matter is. So if you aren't painting or photographing something every day, that's OK.

I wanted to tell you that I clicked through to your blog just now from several generations of clicks on Blogrush. Some days I like to do that just to see who pops up. Lo and behold, there you were!

d smith kaich jones said...

I found you because Bridgette listed you on her spot, so now I'M a reader. Glad to be here. I also started my blog in February, and have found that it's really nice to have a place to go & say "Hey - I am just NOT feeling artistic lately" or "Hey - check THIS out". I've been trying to cut myself some slack because lately I've been very busy & just out of time for art. Having a blog, however, seems to keep me aware of it, and so keeps my toe in the water. It helps me to understand it's temporary. And so, I try to write for me, as Bridgette says.

Very nice to meet you & I really love the work I've viewed here. I will definitely be back!

Debi (Smith Kaich Jones)

Laura said...

I've been coming to your blog for a couple weeks and love your work! I just started a blog in April and sometimes am not sure if anyone is "out there" except for 2 friends, but, I guess it doesn't really matter. I also like your whole 3 words concept.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I read your blog each and every day! Thanks for the well wishes for Amanda--she's home now and resting. She excited that her softball career is over and that when she goes back to school, it's only for three more days. Of course, those three days are filled with exams, but that doesn't matter to her. Prom is scheduled for May 28th, so now we'll have time to go look for a dress and Graduation is June 5. She'll be raring to go by then.

Keep up the blogging and have fun with the IPOD-I love mine. Go to Audible.com and you can download books onto it. I listen while I knit. It's great. Give Joey and Betsy big hugs and kisses for us. Loved the latest photos from Andy.

Take care and I'll call you soon.
Anna

Mary Buek said...

Thanks, everyone, for the comments and words of encouragement. Nothing like a shameless show of self-pity, is there? Sorry about that. Bridgette, thanks for adding me to your bloglines; Martha, you are ever-faithful and supportive; SKJ, I look forward to seeing more of your work; Laura, your collages are delightful.

pirate grrl said...

we're here! we're here! (remember horton hears a who?) love the blog and your openness to share your process....delta in fort collins

Seth said...

I am reading too! And I agree with Bridgette about trying to blog for yourself. It is easy to get caught up with feeling obligated -- you are certainly not alone in that. I say "what if" you made your blog whatever you wanted it to be!

Mary Buek said...

Delta & Seth: I really appreciate your comments. I believe I will take your advice and just do whatever I want. DUH. And Horton Hears a Who is one of my very favorites.