Saturday, May 17, 2008

. . . contemplated home repairs


Okay, maybe my house isn't in need of repair to this extent, but it isn't this interesting, either. We do need new siding, but I don't think the homeowners association would approve this, although if we wait long enough we won't have to worry about approval. We also need to paint the deck and back porch, replace some gutters, fix a soffit, blah blah blah. I would also like to terrace my shade garden, which involves mostly hard physical labor on my part as opposed to dollars spent. I recently met Nancy, a neighbor down the street. I had heard that she had a fabulous garden, so I just went down and asked if I could see it. Sure enough, the steep back yard had been turned into a shade paradise. She is a pretty cool lady, indefatiguable apparently. She dug up all the rocks from her property. . . her husband bought her a small jackhammer to assist her (funny, I didn't ask if he helped her himself.) There are terraces and patios and a pond containing major sized koi; it's a work-in-progress. . . but all garden are, I think. She is also a metal worker. . . she has a plasma cutter and welding equipment and makes amazing garden ornaments from rusted stuff and plumbing pipes. She (and her garden) is an inspiration.

3 comments:

Seth said...

Great, great photo. Love the natural composition and the deep saturation of the colors.

pirate grrl said...

what if i...loved the photo! delta in fort collins

Mary Buek said...

Thanks, you guys . . . it's one of my favorite photos, too. I want to go back to that place and take more, maybe explored around the other side, too.