Friday, May 9, 2008

. . . haunted the graveyard




a very old graveyard, I think on East 12th Street in Kansas City, Missouri. I can't remember the name of the cemetery but plan to do some research. It was huge. . .




with many very elaborate crypts built into hillsides in various places. . .




most showing the signs of neglect and the passage of time. . . like the one above, with plywood covering the arched entrance. . . leading me to believe that the families of these decedents had all but forgotten them, or were unaware of the existence of these crypts, or no longer existed themselves. . .




Someone had cared very much at one time. . . the crypts had dates from the mid-1860s to the early 1920s. Carvings like this were standard. Many had marble columns and intricate ornamentation. I'm sure the cost of construction of these family crypts was staggering and probably many prominent families rest here for eternity.





I could probably relate some profound feelings I had at the cemetery about my own future, but I won't. I will just say it was thought-provoking. . . and show you this snippet of one of the crypts, which is certainly inspiration for some art. (click on pictures to enlarge. . . they're worth seeing.)

3 comments:

Martha Marshall said...

Cemeteries are fun places to hang out. I have fond memories of long walks through our local church cemeteries with my grandfather when I was little. He would point out the stories to be learned about people's lives just from the available information on the stones.

I've never taken a camera with me, but definitely will next time.

Anonymous said...

Hi -- I came to visit your site -- what a great post and terrific pictures.

I'm a Kansas City girl actually now living 100 miles away!

Martha

Mary Buek said...

Martha M, it's weird, but I never go to cemeteries in which my family is buried. The really old cemeteries to which I have no personal connection are most interesting to me. You can make up your own stories about the people who inhabit the place.

Martha @ Linderhof: I'm so glad you dropped in to visit and I hope you come back often. I know I will visit your site again and again.