Monday, February 23, 2009

. . . fed my habit




I am a magazine junkie. Yesterday at the grocery store I stumbled across the premiere issue of "Color" subtitled "for collectors of fine photography." What a feast. . . The photo above was taken by Eliot Porter and is titled Macau (Incense) - 1980. Paul Martineau, assistant curator in the Department of Photographs at the J. Paul Getty Museum in San Diego, California, wrote this about Eliot:


"In a career that spanned more than 50 years, Eliot Porter pioneered the use of color photograph to capture nature's intricate patterns and details by revealing the nuanced hues and tones of the natural world. Porter's work played a central role in bringing about the widespread acceptance of color photography as an artistic medium, and in transforming the genres of wildlife and landscape photography."


But this is only one of the many fascinating photographs included. The magazine features photography artists from the past and those who are currently working. There is such inspiration in the pages of this magazine. . . as an amateur photographer and one who can only use a digital camera, I have much to learn. I look forward to future issues.

3 comments:

Jazz said...

That photo is wonderful. I hope we'll eventually get that magazine in Canada... or that we already have it. I'll have to check it out.

Leslie Avon Miller said...

Thanks Mary. I too love eye candy, and magazines have it.

Jeane Myers said...

thanks Mary - will have to look for this magazine -