Thursday, February 12, 2009

. . . created random art




Since I haven't posted anything original in about a week, I thought this little happy accident might convince my blog readers that I really have been working on my painting.


The blue background is the result of sort of a monoprint I placed as a focal point in one painting. I wanted the blue area on the painting to look random and accidental, so I painted a combination of different blues on this piece of paper and pressed it to the canvas. Perfect, exactly as I wanted it to be. I finished that painting and still had this lovely piece of blue-painted paper sitting there. So I think, let's see where I can go with it. I stretched the next canvas and painted on a layer of gray gesso. There was some left on a homemade matboard squeegee, so I wiped it on the blue paper. I put some netting in the gray gesso to add texture to the painting, and then just flopped the wet netting onto the paper too. Same with the white gesso, applied both to the canvas and to the paper, using a plastic grid and the edge of a squeegee. Had a bit of red left over on a brayer, so I rolled it on. The same with the bright blue.


I love it when these little random acts of art turn out to be something interesting. Sometimes they don't. Sometimes they look like mud. Or worse. But this one is as done as I want it to be for the time being. That's not to say I won't change it at some point, because as I've said before, nothing that stays in the studio very long remains the same.

7 comments:

ps pirro said...

"random acts of art" -- what a great phrase.

I love this one-piece-leads-to- another kind of art, when you see the beginnings of something new in the blottings you took of a previous piece (look at all those paper towels... hmmm...) Comes from being frugal, perhaps?

xox, ps

Jeane Myers said...

got to love the accidental painting that works!

Anonymous said...

Really love it Mary! And a fun process getting there.

Laura said...

Loving you work lady!!! and your photo's too.

Mary Buek said...

Peggy: I know, the papers towels are so amazing. It's a fun and no-pressure situation for me. . . not going to sell these, so I play.

Jeane: Yep, you sure do. Thanks for stopping by.

Martha: So good to hear from you. I'm loving your digitals and collages, by the way.

Laura: Glad you commented. I read your blog every day and you keep me inspired. Love your art. You are certainly a busy lady.

Jazz said...

I love your random art...

Mary Buek said...

Thank you, Jazz.