Tuesday, March 10, 2009

. . .stamped circles, grids




on this small piece of experimental art on foamcore. I am likely to use anything I can put my hands on as a circle stamp, from pencil erasers, paint lids, and makeup bottles to these little fake foam marshmallows that I found at a hobby store. The spiral is a stamp I carved myself and of which I am inordinately proud since carving stamps is not in my set of skills. And the plastic cross-stitch grid is perfect to use as texture, as is some screening material I found at the hardware store. This is actually one experiment that doesn't have too many layers on it. I think I'll just keep it the way it is now. I had better hide it or I'll probably keep playing with it until it's beyond artistic, all the way to a jumbled up mess.

4 comments:

Jazz said...

I tried to carve a stamp once and almost lost a finger in the process. Now I stick to the kind you can buy in a store.

Sharp objects and I do NOT mix well.

Seth said...

I like the organic nature of this piece. It is as if I might see this on the wall of an ancient cave!

Jeane Myers said...

I thought I was the only one who played too long and then had to find a new starting place - nice to know I'm not alone - I really like this, Mary - you've got that Leslie color going on ........

Mary Buek said...

Jazz, I know what you mean. There has to be a tarick to that carving thing that I don't know about. . . I had more cuts on my fingers than I did on the carving material.

Seth, thanks. I feel like you might see me in that ancient cave.

Jeane: Thanks, I know what you mean about the Leslie colors. I have been working on my neutrals until this weekend when I gave in to my more colorful nature.