Sunday, January 10, 2010

. . . studied junkyard photos




Since my Christmas visit back home and my jaunt to the junkyard in the sleet with my brother and nephew, I have painted five small pieces. They are all inspired by the photos I took at the junkyard. This painting is small, no larger than 8"x 8", on canvas. I tore up some small strips of leftover canvas and embedded them in gesso. There was a wooden type Q sitting on my bookshelf, so I incorporated several impressions. These are all "studies" for bigger pieces. I really enjoy working in this small size. I feel more free, more creative, more likely to try something different or new. And if something works when it's small, I'll feel more comfortable trying to translate it into a larger piece.


I hope everyone is keeping warm. This cold weather we've had is ridiculous. Three degrees below zero this morning. I thought for a while yesterday my furnace had finally given up and gone to furnace heaven, but no, it was just a filter problem. I guess all my cleaning up in the studio had clogged a relatively new filter. Dodged a bullet on that one. Two women who had relieved me of part of my stash before Christmas came again yesterday and took home more supplies. They showed me a couple of crazy quilt heart ornaments they had made from fabric they bought in December. The hearts were wonderful, beaded and embroidered. Great job, ladies.

4 comments:

Nancy Natale said...

Great work! This piece looks like a very big painting - hard to carry off in an 8x8 format. Congratulations!

Jazz said...

I love this painting 635 ways to Monday. Wow!!!

Seth said...

Great, great piece. Looks like you tore if off a wall!!

Mary Buek said...

Nancy: Thank you. For me, it is harder to do it big. Small is duck soup.

Jazz: Email me with your home address for a surprise.

Seth: Thank you, that's what I was going for. High praise from an expert in this genre, as far as I'm concerned.