Thursday, October 8, 2009

. . . experimented with texture




Faced with what I thought was a daunting deadline of creating five or more paintings in a couple of weeks, I set up another area in the basement so I could work on more than one painting at a time. I'm not adept at multi-tasking. But while I waited for one painting to dry, or for inspiration on how to continue with it, I was working on the others. This area became my experimental zone, and this is the first thing I created there. It also turned out to be a pretty good place to photograph the paintings. This is about 30 x 30". I almost gave up on it several times, but I became determined to finish it, or at least learn something in the process. And I did. The HVAC guy who came to fix my furnace really really like this painting. I wish I could have bartered it for a new motor for the furnace fan, but alas, I don't think the accounting procedures at the corporate entity that employed him allowed for that type of transaction.

13 comments:

Lauren said...

I love this Aunt Mary! The cross part looks like jewels!

Jeane Myers said...

I'm definitely with the furnace guy - this is wonderful

layers said...

wonderful textures-- from a texture lover.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I have never left a comment on your blog...BUT this took my breath away. Wow, wow, wow.

I look at dozens and dozens of pieces on the net and rarely does one make me gasp at first glance, and drool on taking a deeper look.

Great stuff.

Sherrill

Regina said...

I love this! The combination of color, design and texture are great.

Miki Willa said...

This is great. The texture is so intriguing. There is so much to see. I would love to see the original. I am quite sure I would get lost in it.

RosieK said...

So glad you didn't give up on it! A powerful piece of work - you can always trust a boiler man!!

13moons said...

Oh yes. This is so nice. Too bad you couldn't barter for furnace repair...that would be great!

Unknown said...

Art is what happens when you're making other plans? This piece is fabulous. I so trust (for you) that you can & will make all the pieces you need to in the time allotment. You continue to amaze!

Leslie Avon Miller said...

Great work Mary. I love being able to set one painting aside and keep going on another one. Glad you found a way to make room for yourself to do that. If only furnace guys made enough money to buy expensive art....

Seth said...

So glad you stuck with this Mary. I think this is a real beauty and it must be even better in person!

Mary Buek said...

Lauren: Thank you, honey. Will we see you Oct 25 for Nora's baptism?

Jeane: The furnace guy would have loved you...he was a pretty informed art afficianado.

Donna: Thanks; I love your textures.

Sherrill: Wow. Wow. Wow. Thanks so much for your comment. You made my day.

Regina: Thanks for your comment. I appreciate it a lot.

Miki: You're the best, girl. Thanks so much.

Rose: Thanks for your comment. I'm glad I wasn't paying the boiler man by the hour, because about half the time he was here, he was looking at my art and telling me how he became interested in art because he was pursuing a young lady who was interested in it.

13: No kidding; I need to look into that bartering business a bit more.

Marie: Thank you; I am just painting and painting and surely something worthwhile will come from it.

Leslie: I'll bet the furnace guy is doing just fine. . . probably a lot better than most artists, don't you suppose?

Thanks, Seth. You can bet that every painting I put on this blog looks better in person. I'm not good at taking pictures of my art.

Lauren said...

Yes! My gimp boyfriend and I will be there:)! I'm very excited to meet Nora and of course see the rest of the family!