Friday, October 30, 2009

. . . considered swine flu


(next to last wonky picture of painting)


I know one thing: if washing one's hands was 100% insurance against getting the swine flu (H1N1, whatever, swine is much more descriptive), artists would probably stay pretty healthy. I wash my hands about 180,000 times a day, just to get paint or glue or other gooey stuff off them. And I don't mean just run them under the faucet with lukewarm water. Oh, no, it's hot water, lots of soap, and a scrub brush. I used to have a big tub of some kind of soap along the lines of Lava, really abrasive, but worked pretty well. Of course, after a while the skin on my hands would slough off like snake skin, but they were clean.


The other factor that may save me (and perhaps other artists) from the dreaded swine flu is that I don't come into contact with a lot people down in my basement studio. In fact, no one. In fact, I could probably go for a long time without seeing anyone if I really tried. I sometimes worry about having some kind of crippling accident at home and not being found for days. But there is no one sneezing on me, or coughing on me, and whatever germs are in the studio have been there for a while.


My little ones, however, are human petri dishes. There is usually some sort of bodily fluid escaping from them somewhere. They are pretty cute when they sneeze or cough into their shoulders or upper arms. But I haven't decided whether to get the vaccination or not. How about you?

6 comments:

Jazz said...

I think they're blowing it out of proportion. You can't go an hour around hear without hearing about it. Bla bla bla. It's the media's big story of the week.

However, when the vaccine is available I will get it. Vaccination is one of the most terrific advances in medicine. Many diseases have been eradicated because of it and I think the benefits far outweigh the dangers. I get a flu shot every year anyway...

Leslie Avon Miller said...

Oh, Mary I just love this painting. What is the size? Why don't you come over to my studio today and we can play around with art and stay away from flu bugs?

M said...

I am not in a high risk situation for swine flu. I keep changing my mind about getting the shot. One of these days when they finish with the priority groups I may just do it on a whim. It's all very confusing. Every day brings new information.

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

You had me laughing about the artists swine flu prevention...so, so true. Yesterday, I had a scrub brush to my hands so many times and how many times have I run into a neighbor and been asked if I'm new to the neighborhood?!! I have a pulmonary problem so I'll be getting a shot when they are available.Thanks for the laugh!

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

Forgot to tell you, I love these new subdued color palette pieces!

Mary Buek said...

Jazz, I totally agree with you. I suspect that by the time the vaccine is available to people in my risk pool, I will already have had it.

Leslie: No kidding, I wish I could say I'd be right over. One day. . .

It is all very confusing, and gets more so ever day, Margaret. I just don't want to get sick. Period.

Thank you, Blue. I love the "are you new to the neighborhood" comment. So true.