Tuesday, December 30, 2008

. . . ran out of




. . .collages to post to cover up my artistic inactivity. I guess I will just have to make some more. After reading Nita Leland's The Creative Artist, the older version, I decided to check out my bookshelf to see what other sources of inspiration I had forgotten about. I came across Color on Paper and Fabric by Ruth Issett. Now I'm ready to try a few more things with my painted tissue paper, primarily what Issett calls glass plate printing. I don't have all of the supplies that she uses in her examples, but I can adapt the experiments to what I do have on hand. Just like when I cook, a recipe is nothing more than a suggestion. I find that if I try something new, ideas pop up and "what if I" do this or that leads to some interesting, if not always successful, results.

9 comments:

Catherine said...

I bet you'd enjoy 'jello printing'...you make a large pan (i.e. plate) of plain gelatin and use it as a printing plate...very detailed prints. here's a link:
http://marytaylorart.com/FAQ/FAQ%20Gelatin%20Print.htm

Leslie Avon Miller said...

Color on Paper and Fabric is one I don't know. I'll look it up. From time to time I re-read Master Class in Watermedia by Ed Betts for inspiration.

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

Hi, I just floated over here from Jeane's Artit and I'm glad I did. I really like your collage and I believe I have the same Nita Leland somewhere around here. Have fun with new experiments.
Mary Ann

Jeane Myers said...

I really like this image and your way of working - the same sentence 'What if' has been in my artist's statement for years - funny huh?

Mary Buek said...

Catherine: I did try the geletin monoprint thing once and I really did like it, but I don't think I was doing it right. It was fun, though.

Leslie: I don't know the Master Class book, Leslie, need to check on it. I have so many books that I just looked at once and put them on the shelf...it's shameful.

Welcome, Mary Ann. . . I'm so glad you like my playing around with these collages. Please come back often.

Jeane: Thanks. . . I know, "what if I" is just fun. Like, what if I put varnish on tissue paper, or whatever. I break the rules, or rather, I don't know enough about the rules to discourage my experimentation.

Edgar said...

Just linked in from Melinda's bloglist. It sounds like you've got an interesting bookshelf! As an experiment, I recently posted my reading list and encouraged others to chime in. There is considerable inspiration to be found in the responses.

Mary Buek said...

Edgar, I read your list. It sounds imposing. My art books generally are those that involve technique, more "how-to" than anything else. The other books I read are purely escapism, ones that tell good stories. I consider them painless ways to learn new things.

Anonymous said...

Loving these collages, Mary! You've inspired me to shift gears and try some for a while.

Mary Buek said...

Martha, I can't wait to see your collages. . . are you still going to send some to NZ? The name of the thing escapes me at the moment, but you know what I mean, don't you?