Sunday, December 14, 2008

. . . anticipated a change




in the weather, for one thing. It's 7:30 a.m. and the temperature is 60 degrees. By tomorrow I believe the temperature is supposed to be in the single digits. That probably accounts for the wild wind that has been blowing since early yesterday morning, and the dark and gloomy clouds that seem so ominous.


Perhaps there are other changes coming, too. Yesterday I made this collage. . . but aren't they all starting to look alike? I think it's because I'm using the same papers in every collage. So also yesterday I created some different papers. I hope you will be seeing those in future collages. I am also going back to review a DVD by that inspired me last March. I have a ton of purchased papers, too, but I feel compelled to use only those that I make myself. Otherwise I feel like I'm using someone else's creativity.


Potentially there are other changes afoot. . . well, there will have to be or else I will join the ranks of all the other folks who are the victims of the economic recession or whatever the hell you want to call the current financial mess we seem to be bogged down in. I will again be a statistic. . . nothing unique or unusual. . . just another babyboomer coming to grips with altered realities. My mind is busy conjuring up ideas to overcome the fear. . . but there seem to be obstacles at every juncture. I will have to use my creativity to solve this problem, because that's what I do. . . whatever it takes. It seems highly unlikely that even if my art were selling, it would generate enough income to really help out much. One of the biggest obstacles is my own mindset. . . I'm feeling like I'm too old to start something new. How ridiculous. . . with luck, given my set of genes, I'll be around another 25 or 30 years. So (pep talk to myself) get on with it. . .

3 comments:

Melinda said...

I'd like to add some encouragement to your upcoming changes.

There is a world change coming, already in process, in which we all have the opportunity to carve out, collage together a better world with a new paradigm.

My hope, fellow boomer, is that you, along with the rest of us struggling with this economic trouble, will see the start of a new era. In your words then, "What if I..." believe that things will turn out better than I could possibly imagine at this moment?

Anonymous said...

It's a fine line between having work that looks alike and having a "body" of work. For what it's worth, I haven't been feeling that your pieces are too alike...

I'm impressed that you make your own paper! I've looked into myself but it seemed like too much work. Plus I probably wouldn't make paper as good as what I can buy. Sort of like bread...

Mary Buek said...

Melinda, I am in total agreement with your lovely message. . . I do believe this time is an opportunity to find creative solutions to long-standing problems. Something has to change, and I hope, hope, hope that change has already started. I just get a bit unsettled every once in a while.


Bob, you know, it's interesting that you would make that distinction. . . I have pondered the "body of work" idea, too. As for making my own paper, don't get too impressed. . . I just paint acrylics on tissue paper and let it dry. And I have never made bread in my life, although my dad was a baker and made about 20 different kinds of bread for his store. Kind of like chicken broth. . .