Sunday, February 20, 2011

. . . voluntarily went outside




Not just voluntarily, either, but eagerly. The temperature reached the 70s this week, and off I went on my lunch (1/2)hour with my camera. Not surprisingly, within a few blocks of where I work, I stumbled upon a building that had either fallen down or was in the process of being torn down. These pictures are from that place. I know, the one above is a bit weird, but that's probably why it appeals to me. I like the upper gray-white background with the orange bits.






My usual method of taking picture during lunch is definitely point, shoot, and get the hell out of there, which kind of limits what I'm left to deal with when it comes to editing the pictures. Many times I've wished I would have taken more time to actually study up close what I'm shooting. Like above, I don't know that the stones are necessary to the picture, but I kind of like the red stuff, which I truly hope is paint.






And here, I don't really like my crop, now that I see it here. Possibly this should be two separate pieces.






Love the natural crackled surface and the colors on this one. I think you can click on all of these and get bigger photos.






Okay, this one was taken in the parking lot across which I walk every day. And it was very very cold that day. And this is a puddle of ice. With a piece of chewing gum in it. I did not take this on the wonderfully spring-like day last week. I actually stopped on my way in to work and just pulled out the camera and shot this when the temps were probably below zero. And this one definitely needs cropping and editing. But don't you love the gum?


Long weekend for me; a benefit of working at a bank. Hope with me that I can get that painting done. It's calling my name. . . .

9 comments:

Art From The heart said...

Love the photo's but sure am jealous of the 70 degree weather !!
Hugs, Amy

Anonymous said...

Mary--

Soooo glad to see the results of you being
outside...You have such an awesome eye.
Hard to believe these are just stumbled upon
point and shoots. Glad that the getting outdoor
of work enviorment 'feeds' you. You are truely
a triple (at least!) threat: gifted w/camera,
brush and pen. Always an inspiration...

hugs
DD

Anonymous said...

Mary--

Soooo glad to see the results of you being
outside...You have such an awesome eye.
Hard to believe these are just stumbled upon
point and shoots. Glad that the getting outdoor
of work enviorment 'feeds' you. You are truely
a triple (at least!) threat: gifted w/camera,
brush and pen. Always an inspiration...

hugs
DD

Jann Gougeon said...

Wonderful photos. It's amazing what artists do to imitate nature! :)

Ian Foster said...

Great shots of decay and dereliction, I love them all. Bravo!

Teri said...

I can't wait to see these interpreted on to a canvas. You just have a way with this kind of stuff! Have a really nice, LONG weekend.

Luthien Thye said...

you have such a wonderful eye for worn beauty! they all can pass off as abstract art actually. love them esp the turquoise crackle image :)

Snailcat said...

Beautiful. I love finding things look abstract paintings outside and respect those who actually frame them as photos. Thank you for sharing.

plasticanimal said...

Love your pictures! I feel that you and I have a kindred aesthetic and I'm looking forward to browsing your site more after I get home from taking pictures.