Sunday, February 6, 2011

. . .added to 10,000




Have you all read or heard of Malcolm Gladwell's theory that being an expert at something takes a lot of work. . . his estimate is 10,000 hours. Well, this week's work did nothing but add to that total.






I have tried on this blog to post everything I create, whether I believe it to be good, bad, indifferent. I learn something from everything I make, and sometimes I learn that it's just not good enough. I figure anyone reading this blog could also learn from my mistakes or misbegotten efforts.






Which exactly is how I feel about these small pieces. I also learned that there is not one good place in this house to take good photographs, although it would help to have good subject matter.






I wouldn't say I was completely cured of my recent obsession with deconstructed screen printing. It's a ton of fun. And I learned from that process, too, which was the whole point. I certainly was never going to give up painting for screen printing. I wanted to figure out how to apply some of the screen printing technique to what I do. I also had a chance to unpack and re-evaluate and appreciate again some of the things I use to make texture and pattern.

We had snow this week. . . a lot. I spent a bunch of time shoveling, missed a day of work, froze my ass off down in the basement, but I am getting back in the swing of this art making business. Have a great week, everyone. Make more art.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mary--

Love these, as I do all your work.
So glad to hear that you have "rediscovered"
some of your resources; that's the best
(only?) part of having to pack up!!!

Stay warm and stay arting...

DD

Art From The heart said...

Well I like what you create and think your photo's are great. I too can't find that perfect spot to take a picture, but keep trying. Like art nothing I ever do is perfect. If it ever is I suppose I wouldn't do it anymore!
Hugs

Anonymous said...

Now, why exactly are you displeased with these pieces? I like them, especially the last one.
Joanne in Canada

Jann Gougeon said...

ooooo . . . luscious . . . I like!!

Itaya Art said...

Oh I do love this technique! Not sure how you're doing it exactly as I've not done screen printing before, but I do love what you end up with! I think the first and the last images are my favorites.

Probably most artists can relate to searching for that perfect spot to capture a true likeness of your artwork. You are doing just fine. :)

Lauren said...

Aunt Mary, you are crazy if you think this aren't great, I do:)! Especially the third one down, but I really like yellow, so maybe I'm biased. Miss you!!

Love,

Lauren

CERULEAN said...

They're all beautiful!

Kathleen Botsford said...

I LOVE these pieces! They would look fabulous all together on my wall! I guess there is no accounting for taste! (wink. wink:)

Barry said...

Mb - you might be a bit hooked on this but you are producing amazing images - decided yet on how you will use them? B

Luthien Thye said...

beautiful beautiful work!!! what a feast for the eyes ...