Thursday, April 8, 2010

. . . explored industrial remnants




Most of the time I take shots of these types of buildings and crop to something that interests me. However, today I'm showing some pictures of the actual buildings, because they intrigue me. This triangle-shaped building is one of my favorites. The windows are boarded up so I don't believe there's anything inside it.





This building is in pretty bad shape, but look. . . there's a window unit air conditioner up there. I would like to know if there's an office up there or if it's just a reminder of better times. . .


This shot was taken deep in the area that was either the West Bottoms of Kansas City, Missouri or the Fairfax District of Kansas City, Kansas. The state line runs right through the middle of this area. Yes, there's a street named "State Line". . .

I like this shot. But I wonder about the past of these buildings, and I really wonder about their future. I wish there was a way to preserve these pieces of history but I fear they will continue to deteriorate. It's probably just not economically feasible to restore them.


Just a few blocks away from these buildings are vast new aluminum-sided warehouses and the UPS main station, with acres of paved parking lots, chain-linked fences and semi tractor-trailers lined up nose to tail. But have you noticed anything missing from these pictures? There are no people. There are definite signs of human activity, though. Lots of tagging. . . nothing even artistic, just gang signs, I guess, not that I would know a gang sign from a stop sign. I love these old buildings. I wonder about what went on inside them, when they were new, cutting edge, state of the art. I wonder about the men and especially the women who were employed here. I wonder what happened to the original owners of the buildings. . . did they prosper? Do their families still own these buildings? What scandals and secrets do these walls keep? I can't think about it too much. . . because I would want to find out and I don't have time right now. Definitely a project.



3 comments:

p said...

i love seeing these uncropped and 'pure'. that first one is quite a unique building...good finds mary

Jazz said...

RE your musings about the buildings, their lives... I was wondering the same thing when I saw those pictures. It's so sad to think they'll eventually probably be torn down, but then that's the life of a city isn't it? Things come and go- a city is a living organism of sorts.

RosieK said...

I've got hundreds of photos like this Mary and I loved hearing your thoughts and what you do with them - thanks for sharing with someone who also loves dereliction!!!!